Ok, so this is my blog of my adventures around the world!!! First stop it's Nepal to climb to Everest Base Camp and a few other bits, then it's onto Sri Lanka for a month of teaching English, I will also be meeting Ev, my partner in crime for the rest of the trip! Then its a quick stop in Thailand on the way down to a month in Australia. And finally the bit I really can't wait to do, 7 weeks in New Zealand and then home!!!!


Monday 24 March 2008

Mon 24th March, Its a crocodile!!!No wait its a monitor lizard

Ok, so I won't bore you with the details of my actual teaching but will instead tell you all about my eventful weekend in Kandy. We (me, Stef and Ev)went to Kandy on friday coz we got the day off because it was Poya Day. It took us about 2hrs by bus to get there, and as soon as we got there we got in a TukTuk to Hotel Suisse, which according to Ev's guide book was a budget hotel, it was so not budget! But in terms of english money we got a nice fancy hotel with a air con, a pool and breakfast in a morning for 15 quid a night not bad eh!After a bit of scoffing and a quick dip in the pool, we decided the best thing to do next would be to try Arrack a local drink which is rather strong and tastes good with coke or sprite. 6hrs later, 2 or 3 bottles of arrack down we went to bed, having made quite a few friends around the hotel. One of our new friends was the hotel managers/owners son and he gave us a lift the next day to the elephant orphanage. Now I've done the whole elephant thing in Nepal, but I still enjoyed it as these were like a whole herd rather than just the odd elephant. We also got in the river and scrubbed one, it then promptly did a huge turd. I was not impressed to be stood in a river next to a whooping great big bull elephant and it do a turd. Oh I almost forgot on the way to the elephant orphanage, the brake on the car failed and we ran into the back of a van full of people, but don't worry I'm fine it was only a little dint. Back at the hotel we met up with some other volunteers and went for a meal. The hotel managers son then took a few of us to a local club it was ace, and yet again way too much arrack was consumed but all in all a brill night. On Sunday we stayed at the pool for a bit before getting a bus back to Sputnik. So that was our fabulous weekend!!! Oh and we saw what we thought was a crocodile at the side of a lake in Kandy as we walked past, we were like OMFG is that a crocodile, it was huge, it turns out it was a monitor lizard, and loads of locals saw us run away from it, i think they think we're a bit potty!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Holly
I love your blog and there hasn't been a single post that hasn't made me laugh (out loud = LOL?). Even if I don't really understand some of the "young people's jargon".
Glad you're having fun. Sorry you're missing junk food. (As in somewhat disappointed rather than sympathetic.)
Lots of love (isn't that also LOL?) Mark

Rach said...

you guys are so so funny!

could you let me know your plans for while your in new zealand and ill sort things out this end with your belt! xxx

Vicki said...

Hi Holly
Just having my cup of coffee whilst reading your update. Say hi to Ev for me

Be careful
Vicki