Ok, so this is my blog of my adventures around the world!!! First stop it's Nepal to climb to Everest Base Camp and a few other bits, then it's onto Sri Lanka for a month of teaching English, I will also be meeting Ev, my partner in crime for the rest of the trip! Then its a quick stop in Thailand on the way down to a month in Australia. And finally the bit I really can't wait to do, 7 weeks in New Zealand and then home!!!!


Friday 29 February 2008

29th Feb, Burning Yak shit to keep warm!

HELLO!!! I'm back from my trip to Everest Base camp and IT WAS ACE! I don't really know where to start so I'm going to start with the plane journey to Lukla from Kathmandu, it was horrific! It was one of those tiny 15 people planes and the runway at lukla, are you ready for this, was only 300m long and on a uphill slope, I've never looked so green in my entire life. From lukla it was 9 days hard walking till basecamp, it was fairly cold, as in thermals and big fleeces. At the coldest point it was -16!! To save firewood they burnt dried yak shit, this kept me endlessly amused and smelly as there was no showers for the full 14days!!!! I STUNK by the time I got back to Kathmandu but so did everyone else so it was okay. Actual basecamp was nothing like I expected, it was a pile of loose boulders and rocks on top of a glacier, there was no sign, no hut, no nothing to distinguish it from any other bit of mountain we walked over, a good job Ashuk (our group leader) said 'this is it!' At base camp there was a lot of pictures and a bottle of rum and then we walked back down to the nearest tea house. One other bit I've so got to mention was sliding around on the frozen rivers/glaciers up there, you could just take a running leap and you'd slide for ages and half way down the hill which meant less walking! I just looked like bambi on ice, I couldn't stay stood up at all! When we were coming down from Base camp it was PARTY TIME, as we had not been allowed to drink on the way up as it could have made altitude sickness worse, so our first big party night was in a town called namche bazaar,we went a bit overboard there was a lot of rum, alot of beer and alot of puke from several people!! All good though. So a couple more days partying and walking and we were back in lukla!! The plane ride home was even worse, because all they do is let it run down the runway as its on a steep slope and you gotta hope it takes off by the end!! Back in kathmandu it was serious shower time as 14days without was hard. Luckily for me one of the girls on the trip has a place on a tour going from Kathmandu to Delhi, seeing the taj mahal and stuff and she doesnt want it so shes trying to give it to me aslong as the tour company agrees, which would be totally mint, so there could be a change of plans if not I'm off to the chitwan national park to do some rafting and see some rhinos!!!! Anyways must go as I have 12kg of washing to pick up!!!!!!
love ya
xx

1 comment:

Rach said...

Hol... its sounds awesome and Gaz is very jealous... not sure what of?! smelling of Yak couldnt have been nice but like you said at least you all did! As if your getting drunk with random strangers...i would never...hahah be careful but glad your having fun! we miss you already and i dont want ness to go on monday! Going to have an awesome party waiting for you when you all get home tho. Big Kiss! xxx