Ok, so this is my blog of my adventures around the world!!! First stop it's Nepal to climb to Everest Base Camp and a few other bits, then it's onto Sri Lanka for a month of teaching English, I will also be meeting Ev, my partner in crime for the rest of the trip! Then its a quick stop in Thailand on the way down to a month in Australia. And finally the bit I really can't wait to do, 7 weeks in New Zealand and then home!!!!


Friday 15 February 2008

7.35pm 15th Feb

Well today has been jam packed! i got up at 8 and enjoyed a suprisingly warm shower, I was expecting a cold one. I had no idea what I wanted to do today so I just packed a bag and headed out the door! I was acosted straight away with various people saying do my tour, do this book that but in the end I settled for a tour in a rickshaw. Now the driving on the roads here is a little hairy at the best of times but in a rickshaw it was a tad terrifying. First stop on my tour was a hindu temple and a weird sunken lake (well he called it a lake it was just a sunken square hole to me) Anyway next stop was Hanuman-dhoka Durbar Square, this was again various shrines and places of worship all together, its quite hard to explain so I'll show you all the pics when I get back. Then it was on to the 'monkey temple', its name is fairly self explainatary, its a 3000 year old temple with monkeys living in ti and on its grounds. Its at the top of a hill so 500 steep steps later I was at the top. It was amazing I could see all of Kathmandu even despite the hazy smog. The temple itself was farily cool but I definatly like the monkeys and the tibeten prayer flags the best. The tibeten prayer flags were everywhere, they're multicoloured flag which are strug up a bit like bunting. They have prayers written on them and they're supposed to bring good luck and health. Finally the last place I visited was Sundhara-dharahara, this was a huge white tower in the middle of the city, 299 NR later and I was at the top of it. The veiw was again impressive but not quite as good as the one at the monkey temple. After my tour I went back to Thamel (the more tourist district of Kathmandu), and wandered round for a bit. By this point I was starving as it was nearly 1pm and I hadn't eaten yet so been the lazy bugger that I'am, I sourced a tube of pringles in a shop and kept on wandering. By 3 I was knackered so I headed back to the guesthouse to sit outside in the bar and read all the leaflets I had picked up on stuff to do in Kathmandu. I then had a small nap (yes I'am that lazy) and headed out at 6 to find more food. I settled on pizza (not very nepalise but very nice). It was a bit un-nerving sitting by myself in a restaurant but there was quite a few other people on their tod so it wasn't that bad lol. So I'm now writing this whilst considering an early night could be in order as I'm giving Tibeten yoga a go tommorow morning at like 7 and I'm meeting my trekking group to do base camp with, so au revoir xx

No comments: